Certificate: M_o_R® Foundation Course
Duration: 3 days
Course Delivery: Classroom, Virtual Classroom
Course ID: PPM6230
This M_o_R Foundation Course lasts 3 days and prepares learners to demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of the four elements of the M_o_R framework: Principles, Approach, Processes, Embedding and Reviewing; and how these elements support corporate governance. The M_o_R Foundation Course is also a prerequisite for the M_o_R Practitioner qualification.
M_o_R (Management of Risk) considers risk from different perspectives within an organization: Strategic, Program, Project and Operational. While it links to other Cabinet Office Best Practices, it respects the roles, responsibilities and terminologies used outside the disciplines of program and project management.
“A risk consists of a combination of the probability of a perceived threat or opportunity occurring and the magnitude of its impact on objectives.” With this definition “threat” is used to describe an uncertain event that could have a negative impact on objectives or benefits; and “opportunity” is used to describe an uncertain event that could have a favourable impact on objectives or benefits.
At the end of the M_o_R Foundation Course, participants will gain competencies in and be able to:
● Describe the key characteristics of risk and the benefits of risk management
● List the eight M_o_R Principles
● List and describe the use of the key M_o_R Approach documents
● Create Probability and Impact scales
● Define and distinguish between risks and issues
● Create a Risk Register
● Create a Stakeholder map
● Identify the key roles in risk management
● Use the key techniques and describe specialisms in risk management
● Undertake the M_o_R Foundation examination
There are no formal prerequisites, however, some familiarity with risk in a business context is desired.
Participants of the M_o_R Foundation Course receive a copy of the presentation materials and the Workbook, which contains reference material.
● Introduction to the M_o_R Course
● What is a risk?
● What is a risk management?
● Why is risk management so important?
● Basic risk definitions
● The development of knowledge about risk management
● Corporate governance & internal control
● Where and when should risk management be applied?
● The purpose of M_o_R principles
● Aligns with objectives
● Fits the context
● Engages stakeholders
● Provides clear guidance
● Informs decision-making
● Facilitates continual improvement
● Creates a supportive culture
● Achieves measurable value
● Risk management maturity models
● Relationship between the documents
● Risk management policy
● Risk management process guide
● Risk management strategy
● Risk register
● Issue register
● Risk response plan
● Risk improvement plan
● Risk communications plan
● Common process barriers
● Identify – contexts
● Identify – the risks
● Assess – estimate
● Assess – evaluate
● Communication throughout the process
● Strategic perspective
● Program perspective
● Project perspective
● Operational perspective
● Business continuity management
● Incident and crisis management
● Health and Safety management
● Financial risk management
● Environmental risk management
● Reputational risk management
● Contract risk management
M_o_R Foundation Exam
(1 hour + time for administrative procedures)
This M_o_R Foundation Course is ideal for professionals who need to learn and apply the concepts of risk management, and specifically, understand the principles and language of the M_o_R method. For example, Directors, all levels of Managers, Program and Project Managers, Program Office Staff, Business Change Managers, and Business Consultants.
About the M_o_R Exam
The M_o_R Foundation exam consists of:
● 75 multiple choice questions
● 5 questions to be trial and not counted in scores
● 35 marks required to pass (out of 70 available) 50%
● 60 minutes duration