Certificate: MSP® Advanced Practitioner Course
Duration: 2 Days
Course Delivery: Classroom
Course ID: PPM2320
The Managing Successful Programmes (MSP®) Advanced Practitioner Course provides an opportunity to learn how MSP can be applied to large programmes, in complex and changing environments, with full accountability of the achievement of the required outcomes. The course also prepares participants for the MSP Advanced Practitioner examination.
This level is aiming to confirm that a candidate has sufficient understanding of the MSP guidance, combined with actual programme management experience to act as a programme manager, any other member of a programme management team, or head of a programme office. The candidate will also learn how MSP can be tailored to suit any programme environment.
The course is entirely focused at applying MSP in complex programme scenarios. Exercises will be based on the candidates own programme management experience, and on the case study used in the Advanced Practitioner Exam. This scenario will need to be studied in advance of the first day of the course.
MSP® was developed as a best practice guide on Programme Management. The guide comprises a set of principles, governance themes and processes for use when managing a programme. MSP represents proven programme management best practice in the successful delivery of transformational change. MSP is very flexible and designed to be adapted to meet the needs of local circumstances.
The MSP framework is based on three core concepts:
● MSP Principles. These are derived from positive and negative lessons learned from programme experiences. They are the common factors that underpin the success of any transformational change.
● MSP Governance Themes. These define an organization’s approach to programme management. They allow an organization to put in place the right leadership, delivery team, organization structures and controls; giving the best chance for success.
● MSP Transformational Flow. This provides a route through the lifecycle of a programme from its conception through to the delivery of the new capability, outcomes and benefits.
At the end of this course, participants will gain competencies in/the ability to:
● Tailor the MSP methodology to make it suitable for any environment.
● Flexibly react to changes in the programme environment, resolve major programme level issues and manage programme level risks.
● Apply each of the MSP principles, governance themes and the transformational flow activities within a large complex programme and changing environment.
● Explain the relationship between the MSP principles, governance themes, the transformational flow, programme information (documents) and the MSP defined programme management roles; and can apply that understanding.
● Produce or evaluate MSP programme information (documents).
● Pass the Advanced Practitioner exam.
● Participants must have passed the MSP Practitioner examination.
● Participants must have refreshed their MSP 2011 knowledge prior to the course.
● Participants should have experience in acting as a member of a programme management team prior to attending.
Participants receive a copy of the classroom presentation materials and the workbook, which contains reference material. The MSP Advanced Practitioner exam scenario is sent to the participants in advance of the course, and should be studied in advance of the course.
● MSP® Advanced Practitioner exam guidance.
● MSP® Advanced Practitioner case study.
● Tailoring MSP.
● Applying MSP within a large programme and a complex and changing environment, resolving complex programme level issues and managing programme level risks.
● Leading the programme management team.
● Organization of the programme, the programme office and programme assurance.
● Experienced Programme Managers, used to operating in a transformational change environment.
● The Head of Programme Office.
● Business Change Managers.
● Other specialist/governance roles involved in ensuring high quality programme management based on best practices is in place, based on the MSP guidance.
About the Examination
The MSP Advanced Practitioner exam consists of:
● Two or three questions, adding up to 75 marks.
● Open questions, hand-written answers.
● Three hours duration.
● Delegates may use any reference material.
● Candidates require a minimum of 38 marks (50%) to pass.
Please note that candidates must pass the Practitioner exam before attempting the Advanced Practitioner exam. By successfully passing the Advanced Practitioner exam, delegates attain “Registered Advanced Practitioner” status.