Certificate: P3O® Foundation & Practitioner
Duration: 3 days
Course Delivery: Classroom, Virtual Classroom
Course ID: PPM6240 & PPM6340
P3O is the Axelos standard for the design of decision-making processes regarding changes in organizations. P3O provides a guideline for the design of portfolio, program and project offices in organizations.
The P3O Foundation & Practitioner Course is an interactive, classroom-based learning experience. The course covers the curriculi of both foundation and practitioner level. The P3O Foundation level content provides the participant with sufficient knowledge and understanding of the P3O guidance to interact effectively with, or act as an informed member of, an office within a P3O model. It enables participants to successfully complete the associated P30 Foundation exam and achieve the qualification.
The P3O Practitioner level content provides the participant with sufficient knowledge and understanding of the P3O guidance to design, implement, manage or work within any component office of a P3O model. It enables participants to successfully complete the associated P30 Practitioner exam and achieve the qualification.
In this P3O Foundation & Practitioner Course, participants will be prepared to successfully attempt the P3O Foundation and Practitioner exams and learn how to implement or re-energize a P3O model in their own organization.
At the end of the P3O Foundation & Practitioner Course, participants will be able to:
● Design a high-level P3O model and its component offices.
● List the component offices in a P3O model.
● Differentiate between Portfolio, Program, and Project Management.
● List the key functions and services of a P3O.
● List the reasons for establishing a P3O model.
● Compare different types of P3O model.
● List the factors that influence selection of the most appropriate P3O model for an organization.
● Define the processes to implement or re-energize a P3O.
● List the tools and techniques used by a P3O.
● Define the purpose and major responsibilities of the defined roles in a P3O model.
● Manage one of the offices using the P3O guidance.
● Design, implement, manage, or work within any component office of a P3O model.
● Identify the elements, roles, and functions deployed in a generalized P3O model.
There are no formal prerequisites. However, you are required to have passed the P30 Foundation exam in order to be certified at the Practitioner level.
You will receive a copy of the classroom presentation material and the handbook, which contains reference materials. It is recommended to have the official Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices: P3O – 2013 Edition, ISBN: 9780113314232 guide.
The course topics of the Foundation and Practitioner are similar but are covered at a different level and from a different perspectives. The Practitioner part of the combined course is focused around activities.
1. Introduction to P3O
a. What is the purpose of P3O?
c. What are P3Os
d. Portfolio, programme and project lifecycles
e. Governance and the P3O
2. Designing a P3O Model
a. Factors that affect the design
b. Design considerations
c. What functions and services should the P3O offer
d. Roles and responsibilities
e. Sizing and tailoring of the P3O model
3. Why Have a P3O
a. How a P3O adds value
b. Maximizing that value
c. Getting investment for the P3O
d. Overcoming common barriers
4. How to Implement or Re-Energize a P3O
a. Implementation lifecycle for a permanent P3O
b. Implementation lifecycle for a temporary programme or project office
i. Organizational context
ii. Definition and implementation
5. How to Operate a P3O
a. Overview of tools and techniques
b. Benefits of using standard tools and techniques
c. Critical success factors
d. P3O tools
e. P3O techniques
● Those who aspire to join a portfolio, program, or project office environment.
● Those who are new to a portfolio, program, or project office environment.
● Those who are considering deploying or reconfiguring the P3O model.
● Those who want to delve into optimization of the strategic decision making.
Foundation Exam Practitioner Exam
● The exam is a closed-book format.
● The total duration of the exam is 40-minutes.
● The exam consists of 50 multiple choice questions with one mark available per question.
● Participant needs to score 30 marks (60%) to pass the exam. ● The exam is an open-book format. Participants can only bring P3O manual.
● The exam consists of 7 objective type questions
● Each question carries 10 marks each
● 35 marks or 50% is required to pass the exam (out of 70 available).
● The total duration of the exam is 135 minutes.